Giant Alight City Women's Commuter Bike (2015) (Dark Blue/Matte Blue)
With its lightweight and durable ALUXX aluminum frame and upright flat-bar positioning, Alight is comfortable enough for a daily commute, but also agile and sporty for longer rides. Women’s-specific geometry and sizing gives Alight a stable, confident ride quality and it’s easy to personalize with racks and fenders to fit your riding lifestyle.
- Light and nimble ALUXX-grade aluminum frame
- Giant ALUXX-grade aluminum fork
- Durable double-wall alloy rims
- Shimano 3x8-speed drivetrain with Tektro brakes
- Rear rack, fenders, kickstand and integrated bell
Sizes: XS, S, M, L
Colors: Dark Blue/Matte Blue
Frame: ALUXX-grade aluminum
Fork: ALUXX-grade aluminum
Handlebar: Giant Connect, Low rise, 31.8mm
Stem: Giant Sport
Seatpost: Giant Sport, 27.2mm
Saddle: Liv Connect, Upright
Pedals: Alloy w/ resin cage
Shifters: Shimano M310
Front Derailleur: Shimano M191
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Altus
Brakes: Tektro, linear pull
Brake Levers: Tektro
Cassette: SRAM PG830 11x32, 8-speed
Chain: KMC Z72
Crankset: SR Suntour XCE, 28/38/48
Bottom Bracket: Sealed
Rims: Giant Alloy, Double wall
Hubs: Alloy, 32h
Spokes: Stainless Steel, 14g
Tires: Giant S-X3, 700x32
Extras: Rear carrier, Fenders, Kickstand
ALUXX: Lightweight framesets featuring optimized strength-to-weight ratios
- Materials: 6061 alloy for optimized strength-toweight ratios
- Forming methods: Single butting results in light weight without sacrificing strength, Predominantly features PressForming
- Welding techniques: Predominantly features Standard and some Smooth welding techniques for optimized strength and weight
Liv's unique 3F design philosophy ensures that, as a female rider, you are getting the best bike for your riding style. 3F stands for "Fit, Form, Function." These are the elements that guide Liv engineers and designers as they create your bike, apparel and gear. The 3F design philosophy produces the best and most appealing cycling equipment to help all women feel confident and enjoy the ride.
Liv bikes, apparel and gear are designed specifically for women. Liv's team of female designers and engineers consider all aspects of a woman's unique strengths and physical characteristics to create the only complete product collection designed solely for women. Examples of this include:
- Women's-specific fit based on global body dimension studies
- Optimized stem lengths, handlebar width and drop, and crank arm length
- Shorter brake reach
- Comfortable saddle designed for female pelvis and hip shapes
- Liv ApparelFit System with multiple fit options
Liv designers understand the importance of creating bikes, gear and apparel pieces that not only meet the highest performance standards, but also have a great look and feel. From crafting the lightest, smoothest riding bikes to designing distinctive color and graphics combinations, the Liv team is committed to providing the highest level of design and aesthetics. Examples include:
- Thoughtfully considered frame design
- Dynamic use of color and graphics to create eye-catching designs
- Color matching between rider gear and bikes
- Flattering cuts and styles in all apparel items
- Application of fashion color trends and patterns
Liv defines function by how well a product performs in its element. We strive to create lighter, faster, more confidence-inspiring bikes and products for women. Here are some of the ways Liv emphasizes Function:
- Utilizing Giant's world-leading craftsmanship and technology to produce a premium product collection
- 3F layup schedule results in custom, ultra-lightweight frame construction for the unique needs of female riders
- Functional fabrics keep you comfortable and performing at your best
- Women' s-specific chamois technology to fit female anatomy
COMPACT FRAME DESIGN:
In the late 1990s Giant pioneered a radical new frame shape to give its professional road racers a competitive edge. Driven by a desire to create lighter and faster bikes, Giant's Compact Road Design changed the look—and the performance capabilities—of competitive road bikes forever.
Now, 17 years later, Compact Road Design is still the standard in high-performance bikes. The concept is simple: A toptube that slopes downward from the headtube to the seattube reduces the size of the front and rear triangles. Smaller triangles create a lighter, stiffer bike.
Whatever the frame material, aluminum or composite, Compact Road Design improves the ride. Here's how:
- Compact Road’s most distinctive feature, the downward-sloping toptube, results in smaller front and rear triangles on the frame. Because the triangles are smaller, less material is needed. Less material equals less weight.
- Picture two triangles made from equal diameter tubing. The smaller, more compact triangle uses shorter tubes. The larger triangle requires longer tubes. It’s easy to see which is more structurally sound—the smaller triangle is stiffer, less susceptible to flexing and twisting. And on a performance road frame, stiffer is faster.
- With traditional geometry, builders increase stiffness by using stiffer material. That might help you sprint faster but it also makes for a less comfortable ride. With Compact Road, Giant engineers are able to design frames with just the right amount of vertical compliance. You get a smoother, more comfortable ride.
- BETTER FIT
- Because of the sloping toptube and lower standover height, it’s easier for riders of all sizes to get the perfect fit. With greater adjustability and up to six sizes per series, even Giant’s most demanding pro athletes, women and men of all different heights, always have a perfect fit with stock-size frames.
This product was added to our catalog on April 8, 2015.