Giant Defy Advanced 1 Carbon Road Bike (2015) (Composite/Orange/Silver)
The more comfortable you are in the saddle, the farther you can go. Faster on the climbs, smoother on any road. From gran fondos to epic solo adventures, Defy Advanced is the choice for speed, efficiency, compliance and control.
Hammer out more miles. Descend with more confidence. Take the long way home. From gran fondos to epic solo adventures, Defy Advanced is the choice for comfort and control. Its Advanced-grade composite frame features endurance geometry and a road-smoothing D-Fuse seatpost. Disc-brake technology gives you more control in all types of weather or road conditions. It’s the perfect machine for going longer, faster.
- Advanced-grade composite frame with D-Fuse composite seatpost
- Advanced-grade composite fork with alloy/composite hybrid OverDrive steerer
- Giant P-R2 rims, Giant Performance Tracker disc hubs, Sapim Race double-butted spokes
- Shimano Ultegra 11-speed mechanical shifting
- TRP Spyre mechanical disc brakes
Sizes: XS, S, M, M/L, L, XL
Colors: Composite/Orange/Silver, White/Red/Blue
Frame: Advanced-grade composite, Electronic ready
Fork: Advanced-grade composite, Hybrid OverDrive steerer
Handlebar: Giant Contact, 31.8mm
Stem: Giant Connect
Seatpost: Giant D-Fuse, Composite
Saddle: Giant Performance Road
Shifters: Shimano Ultegra
Front Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra
Brakes: TRP Spyre, Mechanical disc, 160mm
Brake Levers: Shimano Ultegra
Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 11x28, 11-speed
Chain: KMC X11L
Crankset: Shimano Ultegra, 34/50
Bottom Bracket: Shimano, Press Fit
Rims: Giant P-R2 Disc
Hubs: Giant Performance Tracker Road Disc, Sealed bearing, 28h
Spokes: Sapim Race, 14/15g
Tires: Giant P-R3, Flat Guard Deflect 3, Front and rear specific, 700x25
Advanced Composite Technology:
Giant's High Performance-grade raw carbon fiber is used to produce custom composite material in our own composite factory. Extremely lightweight, stiff and compliant, these handcrafted frames feature the following materials and processes:
Materials: High Performance-grade raw carbon material features an excellent stiffness-to-weight ratio.
Resin: High Performance formula provides excellent void minimization (bubbles) while maintaining outstanding strength. And vibration absorbing particles are added to help disperse road shock.
Modified Monocoque Construction: The front triangle (downtube, headtube, toptube, seattube) is assembled and molded as one continuous piece. This front half is then joined to the rear chainstays and seatstays in a secondary process. This process eliminates the outermost woven composite sheet to reduce weight without affecting ride quality, strength or stiffness.
FEATURES: Giant’s most advanced fork steerer-tube technology. Oversized headset bearings (1 1/4-inch top and 1 1/2-inch bottom bearings) and a tapered steerer tube combine for unprecedented steering performance with no additional weight.
BENEFIT: Compared to the already stiff OverDrive system, OverDrive 2 provides up to 30 percent more torsional steering stiffness. This translates into industry-leading steering precision. Whether you’re sprinting for the finish or cornering hard in the most demanding conditions, you can ride with more power and confidence.
COMPACT FRAME DESIGN:
In the late 1990s Giant pioneered a radical new frame shape to give its professional road racers a competitive edge. Driven by a desire to create lighter and faster bikes, Giant's Compact Road Design changed the look—and the performance capabilities—of competitive road bikes forever.
Now, 17 years later, Compact Road Design is still the standard in high-performance bikes. The concept is simple: A toptube that slopes downward from the headtube to the seattube reduces the size of the front and rear triangles. Smaller triangles create a lighter, stiffer bike.
Whatever the frame material, aluminum or composite, Compact Road Design improves the ride. Here's how:
- LIGHTER: Compact Road’s most distinctive feature, the downward-sloping toptube, results in smaller front and rear triangles on the frame. Because the triangles are smaller, less material is needed. Less material equals less weight.
- STIFFER: Picture two triangles made from equal diameter tubing. The smaller, more compact triangle uses shorter tubes. The larger triangle requires longer tubes. It’s easy to see which is more structurally sound—the smaller triangle is stiffer, less susceptible to flexing and twisting. And on a performance road frame, stiffer is faster.
- SMOOTHER: With traditional geometry, builders increase stiffness by using stiffer material. That might help you sprint faster but it also makes for a less comfortable ride. With Compact Road, Giant engineers are able to design frames with just the right amount of vertical compliance. You get a smoother, more comfortable ride.
- BETTER FIT: Because of the sloping toptube and lower standover height, it’s easier for riders of all sizes to get the perfect fit. With greater adjustability and up to six sizes per series, even Giant’s most demanding pro athletes, women and men of all different heights, always have a perfect fit with stock-size frames.
This product was added to our catalog on April 5, 2015.