Giant Defy Advanced SL 0 Carbon Road Bike (2015) (Composite/Blue/Red)
There is no better road machine for long, demanding days in the saddle. Think centuries, gran fondos and rough roads. The frame is handcrafted with superlight, professional grade Advanced SL composite thatís engineered with endurance geometry and optimized to deliver a smoother and faster ride. It features innovative technologies including disc brakes and the D-Fuse integrated seatpost to reduce road vibration. The oversized and tapered OverDrive 2 steerer tube boosts cornering precision and the MegaDrive downtube and PowerCore bottom bracket deliver precise handling and unmatched pedaling efficiency.
- Professional-grade Advanced SL composite frame with integrated D-Fuse seatpost
- Advanced SL-grade composite fork with full composite OverDrive 2 steerer
- Zipp 202 disc-specific wheelset with Giant P-SLR1 front and rear specific folding tires
- Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 11-speed electronic shifting
- Shimano R785 hydraulic disc brakes
Sizes: S, M, M/L, L
Frame: Advanced SL-grade composite, Integrated D-Fuse seatpost, Electronic ready
Fork: Advanced SL-grade composite, Full-composite OverDrive 2 steerer
Handlebar: Giant Contact SLR, Composite, 31.8mm
Stem: Giant Contact SLR, OverDrive 2, Composite w/ Titanium bolts
Seatpost: Advanced SL-grade composite, D-Fuse integrated design
Saddle: Fi'zi:k Aliante, K:ium rails
Shifters: Shimano R785 Di2, Electronic
Front Derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2, Electronic
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2, Electronic
Brakes: Shimano R785, Hydraulic disc, 140mm
Brake Levers: Shimano R785, Hydraulic disc
Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace 11x28, 11-speed
Chain: KMC X11SL
Crankset: Shimano Dura-Ace, 34/50
Bottom Bracket: Shimano, Press Fit
Rims: Zipp 202 Disc
Hubs: Zipp 202 Disc
Spokes: Zipp 202 Disc
Tires: Giant P-SLR1, Front and rear specific, 700x25, Folding
Extras: RideSense, ISP clamp
ADVANCED SL COMPOSITE TECHNOLOGY:
Giant's Professional-grade raw carbon material is woven in our own composite factory to create the most cutting-edge frames available today. These frames feature the most advanced engineering and construction methods:
- MATERIALS: Professional-grade grade raw carbon with the highest stiffness-to-weight ratio available today.
- RESIN: Professional-grade formula with Carbon Nanotube Technology (CNT), a microscopic polymer added to Giant's custom blended resin*. Like miniature buttresses, CNT strengthens the layers of composite. Frames featuring CNT are 14 percent more impact-resistant than those without it.
- FUSION PROCESS: This complex process involves hand weaving the toptube and seattube together, then re-molding the area under heat and high pressure to unify the junction, resulting in a lighter, stronger frame than those with traditional molding.
- CONTINUOUS FIBER TECHNOLOGY: This manufacturing process allows Giant to construct the front triangle of Advanced SL bicycles* with larger, and therefore fewer, sections of composite material. With fewer pieces and junctions, the frames are up to 100 grams lighter and significantly stronger.
FEATURES: Giantís most advanced fork steerer-tube technology. Oversized headset bearings (1 1/4-inch top and 1 1/2-inch bottom bearings) and a tapered steerer tube combine for unprecedented steering performance with no additional weight.
BENEFIT: Compared to the already stiff OverDrive system, OverDrive 2 provides up to 30 percent more torsional steering stiffness. This translates into industry-leading steering precision. Whether youíre sprinting for the finish or cornering hard in the most demanding conditions, you can ride with more power and confidence.
COMPACT FRAME DESIGN:
In the late 1990s Giant pioneered a radical new frame shape to give its professional road racers a competitive edge. Driven by a desire to create lighter and faster bikes, Giant's Compact Road Design changed the lookóand the performance capabilitiesóof competitive road bikes forever.
Now, 17 years later, Compact Road Design is still the standard in high-performance bikes. The concept is simple: A toptube that slopes downward from the headtube to the seattube reduces the size of the front and rear triangles. Smaller triangles create a lighter, stiffer bike.
Whatever the frame material, aluminum or composite, Compact Road Design improves the ride. Here's how:
- LIGHTER: Compact Roadís most distinctive feature, the downward-sloping toptube, results in smaller front and rear triangles on the frame. Because the triangles are smaller, less material is needed. Less material equals less weight.
- STIFFER: Picture two triangles made from equal diameter tubing. The smaller, more compact triangle uses shorter tubes. The larger triangle requires longer tubes. Itís easy to see which is more structurally soundóthe smaller triangle is stiffer, less susceptible to flexing and twisting. And on a performance road frame, stiffer is faster.
- SMOOTHER: With traditional geometry, builders increase stiffness by using stiffer material. That might help you sprint faster but it also makes for a less comfortable ride. With Compact Road, Giant engineers are able to design frames with just the right amount of vertical compliance. You get a smoother, more comfortable ride.
- BETTER FIT: Because of the sloping toptube and lower standover height, itís easier for riders of all sizes to get the perfect fit. With greater adjustability and up to six sizes per series, even Giantís most demanding pro athletes, women and men of all different heights, always have a perfect fit with stock-size frames.
RideSense Included: Giantís all-new chainstay-integrated, wireless data transmitter. The removable transmitter sends wheel-speed and cadence information directly to any ANT+ compatible computer.
This product was added to our catalog on April 5, 2015.